The Lean Manufacturing Operative apprenticeship is for learners that work in the manufacturing industry. The apprenticeship will build the apprentices knowledge, skills and behaviours which will give them the competency needed to carry out a range of automotive manufacturing activities resulting in the manufacturing of different models of vehicle with different specification variants within a high-volume environment.
Apprentices will learn how to:
- Prepare, control, contribute to and complete manufacturing operations, and follow manufacturing processes and standard operating procedures (SOPs) whilst adhering to specific safe working policies & procedures.
- Maintain Health and Safety requirements at all times e.g. wearing correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) correct use of equipment and tooling, safe stopping and resetting of machinery, maintain an organised work area e.g. 5s (Sifting, Sorting, Sweeping, Spick & Span and Sustain) ensuring the safe disposal of waste in line with environmental systems and regulatory requirements (ISO 14001).
- Contribute, develop and support improvement in the manufacturing operation using continuous improvement methods, kaizen tools, process visualisation using lean principles and problem-solving tools and techniques.
- Carry out quality checks throughout the manufacturing operations to ensure quality is built in and that any defects or concerns are highlighted and dealt with in line with relevant quality standards (ISO 9002).
The Level 2 Lean Manufacturing Operative standard includes:
- Lean Manufacturing Operative standard (Knowledge, Skills & Behaviours)
- Level 2 Diploma in Manufacturing (Knowledge and Skills)
- Functional Skills Level 1 Maths (progressing to level 2)
- Functional Skills Level 1 English (progressing to level 2)
Apprentices will be supported by NA College and your employer to gather a variety of evidence to support the programme which will include;
- Work place observations
- Professional discussions
- Witness testimonies
All apprentices will be assigned a personal tutor/assessor who will work with them to prepare them for their end point assessment. The end point assessment for the Lean Manufacturing Operative standard is;
- Observation with Question and Answer
- Professional Discussion